Monday, July 27, 2026

San Diego artist attends Comicon for 35th year

ABC 10 News reports a California artist named Erik Arreaga is attending the SDCC for the 35th time:
Chula Vista comic book artist Erik Arreaga is drawing attention at Comic-Con this week for his 35th year in attendance.

Arreaga is hoping his new projects will keep San Diego comic book artists on the map.

Arreaga's said he's draws his inspiration for his comic book characters from the 1990s.

"So I feel that I carry that era here. My artwork has been known to be very gritty, dark, but with some great motion," Arreaga said.
And wouldn't you know it, this guy even runs the gauntlet of making me wonder if darkness is what he specializes in. I just don't understand why quite a few of the scribes who've made headlines like these always seem to care more about darkness than light. Then again, maybe I do understand - because the press favors those who do. And that's appalling.
But he is not staying in the past. He is creating characters that live beyond the comic book page — including one who exists exclusively on social media.

"I have a character that is not really in the book. You have to follow her on social media," Arreaga said. "I feel we have to move forward with creativity in our books and just bring in the new generation who are all on social media into comic books."
Well I hope he doesn't think his writing should be made to resemble social media. In the past 2 decades, I'd noticed at least a few stories where the writing was described as resembling a message board argument, such as a story Geoff Johns wrote in the Flash, and he's one of the most pretentious, overrated writers to have ever littered comicdom.

And if he really believes creativity matters, why did he turn to cliches like darkness? Any creator who can't be more open minded about brightness is not being seriously creative. I would hope there's a lesson in this, that modern creators who really want to prove they're creative will be willing to prove they're ready to work in optimism even more. Food for thought. Superman, for example, has been all but marginalized in terms of vision today, and that's something that has to be mended.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Flag Counter


track people
webpage logs
Flag Counter